GHO Homes a new leader in island construction
December 16 2021
GHO Homes, long known for its mainland subdivisions, is suddenly building more new houses than any other developer on the barrier island, with four communities totaling more than 150 new homes underway.
It all happened very quickly.
In May 2019, GHO president Bill Handler broke ground on his first two houses in the Orchid Cove subdivision at the eastern end of the Wabasso bridge.
Orchid Cove, which was plated prior to the 2008 housing crash, had languished under several names for a dozen years. Today, it’s nearly sold out, with just two GHO homes remaining.
Starting prices that were between $565,000 and $715,000 in 2019 have shot up with the rest of island market, and Handler says he has sold houses in the community for more than $1 million.
Also in 2019, Handler bought a 26-acre tract of wooded land across from the Disney’s Vero Beach Resort where he has secured site plan approval to build 73 homes. His crews are now carefully clearing the land, working around stands of old oak trees that will be a signature feature of a community Handler is calling Seaglass.
In 2020, the enterprising builder picked up some lots in Sommer’s Place, a small subdivision just north of the Summerplace neighborhood and half a mile north of Seaglass on A1A, where he is building a handful of homes.
Then in June 2021, Handler bought all the remaining single-family home lots in The Strand in Indian River Shores from mega-homebuilder Lennar, which had failed to gain traction in the subdivision. GHO has 39 finished lots in the development with seven sales so far and a model home going up. Here, prices start around $1.45 million and will go up to $2 million or more.
“On a good day, we have hundreds of men working at our island subdivisions,” Handler told Vero Beach 32963, meaning a day with fair weather when material shortages don’t have job sites shut down.
But how did it all happen? How did a company known for building houses west of town that sold a few years back for a couple hundred thousand dollars end up as the busiest builder on the island, selling million-dollar homes?
The short answer is abundant capital and decades worth of market savvy.
A 2018 merger with Green Brick Partners, a publicly-traded, Texas-based homebuilding and land development company, gave Handler access to a fat checkbook – and freedom from bank loans – while decades of experience acquiring land and building homes in Indian River County enabled him to deploy funds wisely on the island.
GHO was founded by Handler’s father, Dan Handler, in 1983 and grew rapidly enough to attract the attention of national homebuilders looking to expand.
In a perfectly timed move, Handler, who had stepped into his father’s shoes as company president, sold GHO to Woodside Homes in 2006, just before the housing market collapsed across the country. By 2008, an overextended Woodside was bankrupt, and in 2010, Handler bought his company and its assets back for a fraction of the 2006 sale price.
As the country recovered from the Great Recession and the housing market rebounded, Handler nurtured GHO’s resurgence, which saw the company’s home sales soar from 26 in 2012 to more than 240 in 2017.
That same year, Builder Magazine included GHO on its list of the nation’s “Top 200 Builders” and named the company the “fastest growing builder” among those ranked No. 101 to 200 in homes sold.
Looking to keep the momentum going and open up more opportunities as land prices escalated, Handler sought out Green Brick, which acquired an 80 percent stake in GHO while keeping Handler on as company president to leverage his local knowledge.
Green Brick, which traded on Nasdaq up until this month when it moved to the New York Stock Exchange, has found success by betting on builders like Handler. The company’s stock price shot up from $22 to $32 per share over the past year and Fortune Magazine named it one of the Top 20 fastest-growing U. S. companies in 2021.
Green Brick’s “business model is founded on the belief that locally-focused land development is the starting point for builders’ profitability and that both homebuilding and land development are best executed on a decentralized basis,” according to the company’s business plan.
“Zoning and land use are always locally controlled [and] … to really succeed, a builder/developer needs a track record of creating award- winning neighborhoods and decades of building superior local, political and subcontractor relationships.”
Handler has those virtues, and it was shortly after hooking up with Green Brick that he led his company across the bridge onto the island.
By that time, he had been talking “for many years” to a series of owners at the languishing Orchid Cove development, including Gainesville developer Peter Trematerra, who purchased the 31-acre, 57-home tract for $6 million in 2017.
With Green Brick’s capital behind him, Handler made a deal with Trematerra to purchase 37 finished lots. Trematerra’s company, Parkwood Distinctive Homes, held onto the other 20 lots, mostly riverfront, where it has built slightly larger more expensive homes that, like GHO’s, are nearly sold out.
“It was an opportunity that developed after years of effort,” Handler says.
In similar fashion, the Seaglass project came about “as the result of the right conversations with the right people” over a period of time, according to Handler.
Likewise, at The Strand, which was beeping on Handler’s radar for years and where he bought three lots from a prior owner before Lennar even entered the picture.
“When Lennar decided to sell we were positioned to take advantage of the opportunity and it got bigger for us when we bought the rest of the lots.
“One thing leads to another as you get a feel for a particular area like the barrier island,” says Handler. “You become more comfortable in the environment by doing deals and start looking around for more.”
GHO homes are currently available on the island at Orchid Cove, Sommers Place and The Strand, but inventory is scarce and waiting times are long due to labor and material shortages that Handler says have caused GHO to slow the pace of new home sales dramatically while he concentrates of completing houses already under contract.
He expects to open sales in late 2022 at Seaglass, a development he is excited about.
“Seaglass is going to be amazing,” he told Vero Beach 32963. “We have gone to extremes to preserve the mature trees in there, to maintain a canopy and an Old Florida feel. We moved the roads around to save trees and there are nine islands in the road, where it splits and goes around stands of oak trees.
“We have an arborist and walked the site for hours figuring out how to preserve the natural scene and we are continuing to do that. Many developers just mow things down, but we want to keep everything natural as possible.”
Instead of being identified by numbers, trees that will be saved have names on signs attached to them – Bruce, Freddy and Jake, among others.
“The idea is to for workers to care about the trees and not damage them,” says Handler. “From the treescape to the topography and angles of the lots, pretty much every lot in Seaglass will be special.”
Handler says there’s still land available on the island for more GHO subdivisions but that the remaining parcels are “tricky” due to complex land development requirements.
Meanwhile, he has nine subdivisions underway on the mainland in Indian River and St. Lucie counties, many close to sellout, and is developing the land for half a dozen more.
The biggest obstacles GHO faces in the midst of a historic housing market where the hunger for new construction is intense are the same ones keeping other builders up at night – dramatically higher prices for building materials, widespread material shortages and a lack of experienced hands and hammers.
“This is the most challenging time I have seen to develop land and build homes, for sure,” Handler says. “Trying to get what we need to complete homes is like playing whack-a-mole.
For a couple of weeks it was garage doors. We could not get garage doors to close houses to save our lives. We are begging and borrowing for concrete every day. Windows are a continuing problem. Appliances – forget about it! It is flooring. It is paint. It is everything!
“And then you have to factor in the labor problems. We have great relationships with many of our subcontractors for many, many years, but they have their own challenges. They have trouble getting guys and keeping them. Some just don’t have enough. Some guys are leaving and earlier in the year a lot of people were getting sick. If you lose a good guy – or a crew – for two or three weeks, it slows things down.
A bogged-down permitting process and rising prices add to builders’ difficulties.
“Prices are dramatically higher,” Handler says. “I was looking at a price estimate the other day and I didn’t recognize the numbers for concrete. It is bonkers. And it is every part of the house, every line item.”
“I apologize to all of our customers because we are behind schedule in many cases. It is due to these issues, but that doesn’t make it right.
“We have reduced sales to a small amount in all our subdivisions so we can get caught up on the backlog and honor our contracts and agreements with our customers. That is the top priority.”
Ray McNulty contributed to this article.
to view orginal article, please click here
- NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO MOVE TO PORT ST. LUCIE 08/10/2022
- Consider GHO Homes and The Treasure Coast for Your New Home 01/04/2022
- GHO Homes a new leader in island construction 12/16/2021
- Green Brick Partners, Inc. Named in the Top 20 of Fortune’s 2021 Fastest Growing Companies List and Number One Fastest Growing Public Homebuilder 11/01/2021
- GHO Homes presents: Saint Lucie Collection 09/12/2021
- Why Port St. Lucie Is The Ideal Place To Move To And Retire 03/08/2021
- Green Brick Partners Named to Forbes’ 2021 America’s Best Small Companies List 01/07/2021
- Looking to Downsize - Vero Beach & GHO Homes Offers NEW Attached Villas From the Low $200s 11/04/2020
- Coastal Home Designs Feature In GHO Homes Arabella Reserve Community 09/01/2020
- GHO Is Powerhouse Builder In PSL, Treasure Coast 07/10/2020
- Last Chance Opportunities in 7 GHO Homes Indian River Neighborhoods 05/18/2020
- GHO Homes Re-opens Sales Offices in Saint Lucie and Indian River County While Still Maintaining Virtual Options 05/05/2020
- Have you ever wanted to live on an island? You can come close in Florida 03/30/2020
- GHO Homes Has Gone Virtual On The Treasure Coast 03/17/2020
- Final Opportunities Announced in 6 of GHO Homes' Indian River Communities 03/04/2020
- GHO Homes Opens 3 New Models in Arabella Reserve 02/25/2020
- GHO Homes Acquires 130 Lots At Florida 55+ 02/04/2020
- Want To Live in a Model Home? Now's Your Chance: GHO Homes Offers 3 Models For Sale 02/04/2020
- High-tech Florida homes make life safe and easy 01/24/2020
- Southern Living Magazine: Vero Beach is Florida's Perfect Hideaway 01/17/2020
- Palm Beach County 2030: Retirees, young families moving north in search of less expensive homes 12/18/2019
- GHO HOMES NOW SELLING IN ARABELLA RESERVE 11/05/2019
- FIU joining Cleveland Clinic and Vaxine at former VGTI lab 11/01/2019
- GHO Buys Oak Harbor’s Last 23 lots; Homes to Start at $400K 10/17/2019
- Green Brick Partners Makes Fortune’s List of 100 Fastest Growing Companies in the World 09/26/2019
- GHO Homes Segovia Neighborhood Nears Closeout 09/10/2019
- GHO Homes Presents Their Final Opportunities In 4 Lakes Neighborhood 06/05/2019
- Summer Lake North Brings Sebastian & Vero Together 05/21/2019
- Construction of Homes at East End of Wabasso Bridge Now Underway 05/10/2019
- Developer Eyes Disney Resort Property For Single-Family Homes, Duplexes 05/10/2019
- Green Brick Partners Receives “A” Rank in Builder Magazine 2019 Public Builder Report Card 05/10/2019
- Before You Design Your Dream Home, Make These Decisions 04/30/2019
- If You’re Building a Dream Home, Take The Time To Find a Dream Builder 04/12/2019
- GHO Moving Into Final Phase At 82-Unit Segovia Lake 04/11/2019
- GHO Homes Opened 4 New Communities This Year, More Coming Soon 04/09/2019
- GHO Homes Offers Move-In Ready Opportunities 02/26/2019
- GHO Homes Nears Sellout in Lily's Cay, Releases Model For Sale 02/13/2019
- Green Brick Partners Rings the Nasdaq Opening Bell 10/31/2018
- GHO Homes Announces New, Move In Ready Villas From $328,500 09/18/2018
- GHO Homes Opens New Model in Port Saint Lucie 09/01/2018
- GHO Homes Announces New Community - Summer Lake North 08/15/2018
- GHO Homes Release New Floorplan in Popular Lily’s Cay - The Magnolia Jem 06/07/2018
- GHO Homes Featured on Front Page of St. Lucie Vocie 06/07/2018
- Vero News Features GHO Homes 05/29/2018
- Letter to Customers 05/14/2018
- Hanley Wood Announces 2018 BUILDER 100 Awards 05/10/2018
- Green Brick Partners Aquires GHO Homes 05/02/2018
- GHO Homes Brings New Life To Segovia Neighborhood and Vero Beach 04/30/2018
- GHO Homes Wins 5 Grand Awards From The Treasure Coast Builders Association 04/24/2018
- GHO Homes Unveils New Segovia Lake Neighborhood and Decorated Models 02/08/2018
- Serenoa Offers Buyers 4 Ready To Move In Home Choices 10/04/2017
- GHO Homes Prepares for Impending Storm 09/06/2017
- New Preview Home In Port Saint Lucie Opened By GHO Homes 08/15/2017
- Serenoa Offers Buyers 4 Ready To Move In Home Choices 07/18/2017
- Why Buy A New Home Versus A Resale or Used Home 05/11/2017
- Vero Beach and GHO Homes - The Best Combination When Considering A Move 04/12/2017
- Sebastian-Vero Beach has moved up nine spots in U.S. metro population rankings 04/06/2017
- GHO HOMES Receives 5 PLATINUM Awards from TCBA Parade of Homes 03/20/2017
- THREE OAKS DELIVERS MAINTENANCE FREE LIFESTYLE WITH LOW HOA FEES 02/28/2017
- GHO Homes Enters SIX New Homes in the Treasure Coast Parade of Homes 02/28/2017
- GHO Homes Delivers On “Dare to Compare” Promise in Millstone Landing 02/28/2017
- LILY’S CAY BRING NEW EXECUTIVE POOL HOMES TO INDIAN RIVER BLVD 02/21/2017
- ONLY 2 GHO HOMES OPPORTUNITIES REMAIN IN VICTORIA PARC at TRADITION 02/13/2017
- Summer Lake Opens Phase III 01/16/2017
- Two New Decorated Models NOW OPEN in Summer Lake 07/26/2016
- Five Reasons Vero Beach Is Your New Favorite Florida Destination 06/28/2016
- GHO Homes Offers New Allston Floorplan in Serenoa Pointe 05/25/2016
- New home permits skyrocket in Indian River County 05/20/2016
- GHO Homes Expands South Vero Community Options With Opening of Sales in 4 Lakes 05/11/2016
- GHO Homes Meets Need for Custom Built Homes on the Treasure Coast 04/05/2016
- GHO Homes Delivers On “Dare to Compare” Promise in Victoria Parc at Tradition 03/16/2016
- GHO Homes Delivers Impressive Model in Lake Sapphire - The Verona 03/07/2016
- Meadowood Provides Hidden Oasis and World-Class Amenities 03/01/2016
- Serenoa Now Offers Larger Homesites in Phase III 02/28/2016
- Now Selling Serenoa Pointe - Serenoa's Larger Homesites 01/09/2016
- Houzz Announces Best Of Houzz 2016 Winners 01/01/2016
- GHO Homes Announces New Summer Lake Community 12/11/2015
- GHO Homes Delivers Impressive New Model - The Verona 11/04/2015
- GHO Homes Announces "Last Call" for Summer Incentives at Millstone Landing 10/26/2015
- Meadowood Announces Extension fo Model Grand Opening Incentives 10/13/2015
- Serenoa Announces New Floorplan Lineup in Phase III - Serenoa Pointe 09/30/2015
- GHO Homes Features New Tacoma Floorplan in Ashley Lakes 09/22/2015
- GHO Homes Opens 2 New Decorated Models in Three Oaks 09/19/2015
- Southbound Magazine - New Home Communities Shine In Florida 09/01/2015
- GHO Homes Opens New Decorated Model in Meadowood 08/24/2015
- GHO Homes Delivers On "Dare to Compare" Promise in Victoria Parc at Tradition 08/10/2015
- Fieldstone Ranch Announces FINAL CLOSEOUT PRICING EVENT! 07/31/2015
- Serenoa Offers Buyers Five Ready-To-Move-In Homes Choices 07/07/2015
- GHO Homes Delivers Impressive New Model - The Verona 05/19/2015
- GHO Homes Brings New Life and New Homes to Meadowood 05/12/2015
- Fieldstone Ranch: Last Years Best Selling Community is Nearing Sellout 05/06/2015
- Lake Sapphire Opens a New Model - The Verona 04/04/2015
- GHO Homes Announces New Villa Community - Three Oaks 03/31/2015
- Grand Opening Incentives Coming to an End at Millstone Landing 03/24/2015
- GHO Homes Announces Grand Opening of 2 New Decorated Models in Millstone Landing 03/10/2015
- GHO Homes Barrington Model Calls Riverwind Home 02/24/2015
- Fieldstone Ranch is Celebrating its Final Season 02/23/2015
- New Decorated Bridgeport Model NOW OPEN in Oak Alley 02/17/2015
- Serenoa Nears 50% Sold on First Phase 02/07/2015
- GHO Homes Announce New St. Lucie County Communities 01/29/2015
- GHO HOMES Opens Sales in Lake Mandarin at Citrus Springs 01/26/2015
- Ashley Lakes South - Hidden Jem in Vero Beach 01/22/2015
- GHO Homes Presents Asbury Short Film Concert in Vero Beach 01/20/2015
- GHO Homes Releases 4 New Floorplans for Millstone Landing - Preview During Community Open House This Weekend 12/03/2014
- GHO Homes Announces MODEL CLOSEOUT Opportunitie 11/24/2014
- GHO Homes Hosting a Community Open House in Millstone Landing This Weekend 11/12/2014
- Closeout Incentives Announced for GHO Homes Bedford Park in Tradition 11/03/2014
- Serenoa's New Lake Expansion Impressing Buyers 10/13/2014
- GHO Homes Expands Vero Beach Communities With Addition of Millstone Landing 10/06/2014
- GHO Homes Opens New Model in Prestigious Riverwind Community 09/22/2014
- Indian River County chamber honors local companies 09/19/2014
- Serenoa Announces Opening of 3rd Decorated Model 08/29/2014
- Russ Lemmon - In Indian River Co., luxury homes on mainland starting to rival those found on island 07/31/2014
- Serenoa Celebrates New Lake Expansion With Summer Incentives 07/15/2014
- Oak Alley Neighborhood is perfect Location for GHO Homes 05/28/2014
- Sales Success at Serenoa Prompts Fast Tract of Next Phase 05/24/2014
- GHO Homes Brings New Executive Homes to 2 Indian River Blvd Communities 05/05/2014
- Serenoa Celebrates Grand Opening with 2 New Decorated Models 04/12/2014
- GHO Homes Announces New Villa Community - Three Oaks 03/30/2014
- Stoney Brook Farm Offers Country Setting in the Heart of Vero Beach 03/11/2014
- New Decorated Showcase Home Unveiled at Serenoa 03/08/2014
- Sales Strong in Final Phase of GHO Homes Fieldstone Ranch Community 02/21/2014
- Nature Preserve Feature of Oak Alley Neighborhood 02/14/2014
- GHO Homes Announces Ready-To-Move-In Homes in Bedford Park at Tradition 02/01/2014
- GHO Homes Announces Final Opportunities in Two Riverside Communities 01/06/2014
- Best Residential Builder 2013 01/18/2013
- Nov 2012 Customize Your GHO Home with $10,000 in Free Options in Beautiful South Lakes 10/26/2012
- GHO Homes Featured in 32963 Magazine, 09 2012 10/01/2012
- GHO Homes Unveils Extra Large Estate Sized Model at Stoney Brook Farms 09/21/2012
- GHO Homes and Bedford Park featured on CBS 12 09/10/2012
- GHO Homes Announces Phase Two Updates at Its Popular Vero Beach Community, Fieldstone Ranch 08/01/2012
- GHO Homes Reports on Continuing Activity At Bedford Park in the Town of Tradition 07/29/2012
- Find your Dream Home, Tailor Made or Move-in Ready - GHO HOMES 07/10/2012
- Fieldstone Ranch Begins Phase Two with 22 New Lots 05/12/2012
- Avalon Model at Park Lane Estates Opens 03/09/2012
- Fieldstone Ranch’s Steady Growth Is A GHO Homes Success Story 01/19/2012
- GHO Homes Donates to Habitat for Humanity 01/12/2012
- GHO Homes Kicks-Off 2012 with Lower Pricing On Move-In Ready Homes at Trillium 01/10/2012
- GHO Homes Model Grand Opening At Tradition’s Bedford Park 12/14/2011
- New Home Construction Up 11/11/2011
- GHO Homes, In The News Nov. 2011 11/04/2011
- New Homes Are BETTER, Come See Why 10/17/2011
- GHO Homes Offering Ten Remaining Home Sites in Lake Tangelo 09/09/2011
- GHO Homes has chosen Dale Sorensen Real Estate to be their exclusive Marketing Broker/Realtor 07/09/2011
- Columbia Grande Model and Sales Office OPEN in South Lakes 06/27/2011
- Tailor Made New Home by GHO - Custom/Value 05/06/2011
- GHO Homes Offers Innovative “Year To Close” Program For New Homebuyers at Fieldstone Ranch 03/21/2011
- GHO Homes Releases Pricing On Lakefront Estate Home Lots at Spyglass in Vero Beach 02/21/2011
- GHO Homes’ “Generations Series” Inspired By The Needs of Today’s Multi-Generational Families 02/17/2011
- GHO Homes Announces Model Home Now Open at Fieldstone Ranch in Vero Beach 01/19/2011
- GHO Homes’ Kicks Off “Tailor-Made Program” for Homebuyers at Three Residential Communities in Vero Beach 01/05/2011
- GHO Homes Announces New Homes Soon Underway At Three Desirable Vero Beach Communities 12/01/2010